Hayu, (aka You-there! Smartarse, Likely Suspect, and 'That prisoner over there') grew up (somehow) in the back streets, brothels and taverns in Caridel. She's left for a while, due to a misunderstanding with local law enforcement. She's anywhere between the age of 18-22 and isn't sure, herself due to the fact that there is no record of her birth. She spent her formative years (from about 2 or 3 years of age) in a Catholic orphanage run by Jesuits, but left when she was around 11, both parties agreeing that the other "asked too many annoying questions." She can do large sums in her head, which has served her well in thievery, fencing (of stolen goods, not sword-work. She barely knows which end of a sword to hold and which to stick into people), and working as an alchemist's assistant. Other than "probably human", her ancestral background is a mystery. She has a weakness for fine art and is literate, even though she's a) female and b) not rich, because c) it seemed like it could be a useful skill to have.
1) Best Friend – Aside from the stuffed rat she had as a kid (a real taxidermied rat, or as best as she could manage, anyway), there was Frankie who got hung by the guards just for selling a few things that might not have been his, and Hassan who taught her a few tricks for telling lead apart from gold, and how to make a piece of gold look like a piece of lead – at least until you needed it to look like a piece of gold again. She also learned quite a few things about acids, alkalis and the way quicksilver fumes could drive a man mad.
2) End up – Alive and able to afford a secure base of operations or two, and know that there will be a next meal. Maybe have her own crew, someday.
3) Fighting – Dirty and/or with improvised weapons. Guards get nasty if they find you with a weapon, but it's amazing the damage you can do with a stable-rake, or what a chamber-pot can do to a skull (bonus points if it's full). Wears homemade braided leather (with quilted padding on the side against her fist) knuckle-dusters beneath her gloves. She's almost always wearing gloves. And if there's a cheap-shot, she'll take it.
4) About 5'3", slender but well-muscled build, think dancer or tumbler. Dark eyes, black hair – she looks like she could belong to any of the human races, or even be a mix. Hair is short so it doesn't get in the way. Has two main sets of clothing: "formal" is a set of nice but well broken in soft leathers in neutral colours of brown and grey. Her gloves are suede. "Regular" is rags closer to a beggar's. The gloves are worn through at the fingers and fraying, but somehow still cover the knuckle-dusters. Is missing the end of her right pinky finger, to the joint.
5) Religion – Whatcha got? Is willing to follow any tenets, worship any gods that will keep her from getting killed or thrown in jail.
6) Magic is fine, sure, but most magic users are bastards. Most fights it's up close and personal, and even with an archer, you can see where he's aiming and he needs a clear shot. Then there's the bastard standing where you can't even see him who hits you with some sort of invisible snare or something – that's just not right. Okay, so healers might be okay, but that's if they're the good ones and not the ones charging you an arm and a leg just to fix your toe, or fixing you up so you're healthy enough to hang.
7) People is people. Some of them are bastards, some of them are fairly decent. Doesn't matter what shape and size someone is if they're trying to shoot you or are willing to help you hide from the guys trying to shoot you. If you get picky about that, you don't make it too long, y'know? Racism/speciesism is for those who have the luxury to be racist/speciesist.
8) Having worked with an alchemist and knowing a few tricks, she's rather suspicious about the coins/gold people give her and will test them as soon as she's got a chance. She's not stingy – she always buys a round when it's her turn and doesn't look at people sideways if they don't get the cheap stuff, but she's always aware of exactly how much money she has and never likes to incur debt (because debt collectors are bastards). She doesn't mind being flat broke, but debt is right out of the picture. It really does not make her happy when someone tries to cheat her on payment, either.